The Europeana documentation project makes a variety of sources from different archives and collections across Europe available online on its website.
One of the thematic galleries of Europeana is „LGBTQ+ Life and Heritage“. Here you will find initial access to a range of historical sources documenting the earlier lives of LGBTQ+ people in Europe.
Some collections of which you can find sources in the online compilation „LGBTQ+ lives and heritage“ are:
- Atria, Institute on Gender Equality and Women’s History, Amsterdam
- Cork LGBT Archive, Cork
- Finnish Heritage Agency, Helsinki
- Hellenic Literary and Historical Archive (ELIA) – National Bank of Greece Cultural Foundation (MIET), Athina
- International Institute of Social History, Amsterdam
- Örebro läns museum, Örebro
- Nordic Museum Foundation, Stockholm
- Wellcome Collection, London
First overview of thematic collections
The pictures made available here are only a first very tiny selection.
The value of such online collections lies mainly in the fact that they can give first impressions of the existing historical sources, which are also easily available online.
In particular, the references to the institutions where the sources are accessible in the original make this website an entry medium for further research. This tells users which institutions they can consult in order to do even more in-depth research. Archive holdings are never fully available online.