One-day conference for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) academics, researchers and activists – plus heterosexuals conducting research on LGBT issues
When? Friday 28 November 2008, 10am–4pm
Where? Lipman Building, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne
Deadline: 31 July 2008
Eight years have past since the last gathering of LGBT researchers, the “Lesbian and Gay Lives in Focus” conference in London in December 2000. This event seeks to bring together LGBT academics, researchers and activists from across the country to look at the state of LGBT research, to chart a way forward and to bridge the gap between academics and activists. Papers are sought on a range of issues, including:
* Homophobic abuse, harassment and violence
* Homophobia in the workplace
* Homophobia in the police
* Homophobic bullying in schools, colleges and universities
* LGBT health issues
* LGBT mental health
* LGBT social care issues
* Issues of Asian and Black LGBT people, including ‘honour killings’
* Issues of LGBT youth
* Issues of older LGBT people
* Issues of disabled LGBT people
* Housing issues and LGBT people
* National Blood Service discrimination
* Gender dysphoria
* Queer theory
* Identity formation and multiple identities
* Equality legislation and progress achieved
* LGBT activism
* LGBT history/historical research
* Routes to LGBT well-being
* Media representation of LGBT communities
* International debates on same-sex civil unions/marriage
Proposals (of no more than 500 words) should be sent to Dr Andy Mullen (andrew.mullen#unn.ac.uk) at Politics and History Division, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8ST by no later than Thursday 31 July 2008.
The organisers of the conference hope to negotiate the publication of a special journal issue based upon the conference proceedings.
To register for the conference, please request a registration form from Dr Andy Mullen at andrew.mullen#unn.ac.uk.
This conference is open to University and College Union (UCU) members as well as those who are not members of UCU.