EUGenDem Final Conference ‚European Politics, Equality, and Democracy‘ (Web)
Venue: University of Helsinki
Proposals due: 13.02.2023
The conference aims to forge a dialogue between scholars across different disciplines and approaches bringing together EU studies, gender and politics, political science, and social scientists more broadly. The goal is to explore how EU governance and the knowledge underpinning it is constructed and implemented, and with what outcomes. The organizers therefore invite submissions on topics ranging from political legitimacy, democratic practices and policymaking of European political institutions, to the impact of radical right populism and anti-gender backlash, and to promoting gender equality, anti-racism, and LGBTQI rights in European societies and politics. The organizers welcome submissions featuring scholars representing various disciplines, approaches, nationalities, genders, scholarly career stages, and other life experiences.
Keynote session 1: Challenges to European democracy and integration
- Natasha Wunsch (Paris/Zurich): European integration in the shadow of democratic backsliding
- Elżbieta Korolczuk (Södertörn/Warsaw): Right-wing populism and (anti)gender politics in Europe
Keynote session 2: European Parliament in turbulent times
- Nathalie Brack (Brussels): The challenge of the Populist Radical Right in the European Parliament
- Johanna Kantola (Helsinki): Gender, power, and democracy in European Parliament’s political groups
Critical perspectives on the informal in parliamentary politics
- Jennifer Piscopo (Los Angeles): Gender and Informal Networks: Lessons from Women’s Strategies for Power and Change in the Americas
- Akwugo Emejulu (Warwick): Ambivalent Activism: Contradiction as a Radical Democratic Praxis for Women of Colour Activists in Europe
- Georgina Waylen (Manchester): Informal institutions in parliamentary politics: Gender, power and change
- Laura Landorff (Lund): Intergroups in the European Parliament: Exclusive Arenas for Informal Civil Society Deliberation?
Governance and knowledge for equality and democracy
- Ben Crum (Amsterdam): Democratizing Economic Governance in the European Union
- Stefanie Wöhl (Vienna): Gendered International Political Economy Perspectives on Economic Governance in the European Union – Taking Social Reproduction serious
- Paul Copeland (London): A step-change in EU anti-poverty policy? Evaluating recent developments
- Anna Elomäki (Tampere): Transformative or ambiguous actor? Where does the European Parliament stand in terms of EU socio-economic governance
Equality policies in the European Union
- Iyiola Solanke (Leeds): Protection from Intersectional Discrimination in EU Law – time for effective action?
- Petra Ahrens (Tampere): Gender mainstreaming in the EU policy framework and strategies in the European Parliament
- Amandine Le Bellec (Paris): Shifting equality policies from the margins. The Common European Asylum System and the making of LGBTI rights in the EU
- Serena D’Agostino (Brussels): Intersectional Discrimination and Romani Women’s Rights in Europe: Pushing the Equ(al)ity Boundaries
Parliamentary and legislative ethnography: Gender, democracy, and practice
- Nadia Brown (Georgetown): Doing Ethnographic Research as a Black Woman on Black Women Political Elites
- Jonathan Chibois (Paris): Doing fieldwork in centres of power: the case of deliberative assemblies
- Cherry Miller (Glasgow): From Westminster to Brussels: Putting the ‚Parliament‘ in Parliamentary Ethnography
- Sandrine Roginsky (Louvain): A decade of ethnography of the European Parliament: an evolution in the forms of legitimacy construction?
For more information on the confirmed program of keynote speakers and plenary panels, please check the conference website.
The conference invites both panel and paper proposals coming from a variety of perspectives and approaches. We welcome proposals on all the main themes, with no geographic restrictions on the cases studied. The submission portal for both panels and papers can be found here.
Deadline for paper/panel proposals: 13 Feb 2023
In case of questions, please contact Research Assistant Säde Kunnas email@example.com